Topic & Summary
- May 2, 2013
- Ministry of Agriculture
- On May 2 2013, KREI visited the Ministry of Agriculture and had a policy meeting with the Deparment of Planning and Department of Agricultural Extension. KREI and the MA signed on the Record of Discussions for 2013 KAPEX Project including joint research, KAPEX Training Programs and KAPEX Result-sharing Workshops in Korea and Ethiopia. In addition, they had a meeting with the Agricultural Transformation Agency and the Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research to discuss a future plan for Joint Research.
- Research and Development of Agricultural Technology and Extension System
- Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research
1st Field Survey
- From August 12 to 15, 2013, the Joint Research team visited Ethiopia for the 1st field survey. During the visit, they conducted interviews with the Federal Agricultural Research Insitute, Regional Agricultural Bureau, farmers training centers, cooperatives and farmers to diagnose the current situation of agricultural research and extension system by each actor. The major challenges were limited capacity building for human resources, lack of technical capacity of laboratory and weak linear research-extension-farmer linkage due to limited institutional frameworks.
2nd Field Survey
- The 2nd Joint Survey was conducted from September 21 to 24, 2013 in Kalu District of Amhara region and Arsi Negele District of Oromia region. The team conducted interviews with farmers to analyze the farmers' awareness and use of improved crop varieties, use of agricultural inputs and farmers' level of satisfaction on extension service and farmers training centers.
- The Joint Research shows that the farmers have limited access and utilization of improved technology in both crop and livestock sub-sectors. Therefore, the followings should be considered to ensure access to agricultural technology: establishment of effective model research-extension linkage centers at national and regional level, upgrading of farmers training centers into agricultuarl technology centers with linking with agricultural TVET colleges, building capacity of research ers and extension staff by providing long and short-term training focusing on improved agricultural practices and providing research facility and equipment in the field and laboratory.
KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop
- November 6, 2013
- The Korea Rural Economic Institute and the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs jointly held the KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop in Korea on November 6, 2013. The MA shared the final result of the joint research and the ODA project proposal, written based on the final report of the Joint Research and the Action Plans.