Topic & Summary
- March 4, 2014
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Hanoi, Viet Nam
- On March 4, 2014, KREI visited the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and had a policy meeting with Vietnam National Institute of Agricultural Planning and Projection. They discussed the current situation of land use management and agricultural land use in Red River Delta. In addition, KREI and the MAF signed on the Record of Discussions for 2014 KAPEX Project including joint research, KAPEX Training Programs and KAPEX Result-sharing Workshops in Korea and Viet Nam.
- Administration of Agricultural Land System for Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development in the Context of Climate Change in Viet Nam
- Vietnam National Institute of Agricultural Planning and Projection (NIAPP)
1st Field Survey
- From July 10 to 15, 2014, KREI Joint Research team visited Quang Nihn Province to collect data of the Red River Delta on the land use and sustainability to analyze the land system in the context of climate change. In addition, the team had meetings with the NIAPP, MARD and the Institute of Policy and Strategy for Agriculture and Rural Development (IPSARD) to collect data on agricultural land use and the related policies. The team also visited the FAO Country Office to discuss related project experience and further cooperation on research.
2nd Field Survey
- The Joint Research team conducted the 2nd Field Study to Viet Nam from August 21 to 24, 2014. The team interviewed farmers, extension agents and public officers in the target area. The interviews showed that the target area was more vulnerable to the results of climate change such as high temperature, heavy rain, more frequent droughts and typhoons of greater scale. Small farmers, especially, were more vulnerable to the climate change due to the lack of irrigation system.
Result-sharing Workshop in Viet Nam
- On July 16, 2014, KREI and NIAPP hold a KAPEX Workshop in Hanoi, Viet Nam. On the workshop, the participants of the Local KAPEX Training presented their Action Plans for sustainbale management of agricultural land in the context of climate change. They shared their ideas on ensuring food security in the Red River Delta and assessing impacts of climate change and solutions for maize production in the Red River Delta. Korean experts provided feedbacks on the presentation and discussed future cooperation on formulating ODA projects for the target area.
- The objectives of the joint research is to review the current situation on the Red River Delta area regarding the land use in the context of climate change and long and short-term agricultural policies for the implications on sustainable land use in the target area. The research focused on rice and suggested an ODA project for building capacity of reforming land use management policies and reducing GHG emission through a sustainable rice production. In addition, the research also emphasized the value chain of rice to increase the productivity and household income in the target area.
- (Invitational Training) May 11-18, 2014/ (Local Training) July 15-20, 2013
- Seoul, Korea and Hanoi, Viet Nam
- The Invitational Training for ten high-level public officials from Viet Nam was held in Korea to enhance policy development capabilities by sharing Korea's experience on agricultural land management system and related policies and sustainable agriculture through lectures, site visits, and discussions. They had lectures such as "Korea's Agricultural Land Policy", "Korean Agricultural Policy Development", and "Sustainable Agriculture". For study visits, they visited the Global Green Growth Initiatives, Saemangeum Project site and Jeonbuk Agricultural Research and Extension Services. Based on the implications from the lecture and study visits, the participants developed action plans on sustainable agricultural land use in the Red River Delta in Viet Nam. The Action Plans emphasizes that there should be an adequate system of legal framework for land use and management. In addition, the action plan includes the activities such as providing training on land use and management and improving the infrastructure system to meet the agricultural production requirements.For Local Training in Viet Nam, twenty public officials and experts in the practical level participated for developing ideas from lectures, site visit, and discussions with Korean experts. As a result of the Local Training, the participants developed four Action Plans: Agricultural Land and Management Plan for Sustainable Agriculture, Action Plan for Rice Production in the Red River Delta Area, Climate Change and Food Security in the Red River Delta, Climate Change and Maize Production in Viet Nam.
KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop
- October 22, 2014
- The Korea Rural Economic Institute held the KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop in Korea on October 22, 2014 to share the final result of joint research of two partner countires, Viet Nam and Uganda. Moreover, 2013 KAPEX partner countries, Cambodia and Lao PDR, also participated in the Workshop to share the outcomes of 2013 KAPEX projects.