Topic & Summary
- April 3, 2014
- National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS), Kampala, Uganda
- On April 3, 2014, KREI visited the National Agricultural Advisory Services and had a policy meeting for discussing desirable measures for the succesful implementation of the 2014 KAPEX project with Uganda. In addition, they discussed the current situation of livestock management in Uganda. KREI and the NADS signed on the Record of Discussions for 2014 KAPEX Project including joint research, KAPEX Training Programs and KAPEX Result-sharing Workshops in Korea and Uganda.
- Livestock Farming and Management in Uganda: A Focus on the Dairy Sub-sector
- National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS), Mekerere University
- From August 23 to 19, 2014, KREI Joint Research team visited Kampala and the target areas which were Kiruhura (south-western region of Uganda), Gulu (northern), Kiboga (central), Bududa (southern) to collect data of dairy value chan in the regions. During the visit, the team interviewed the district production officer, veterinary officer, district loval government leaders, farm leaders and dairy cooperative representatives, milk processors and milk traders.
Result-sharing Workshop in Uganda
- On September 3, 2014, KREI and NAADS hold a KAPEX Workshop in Kampala, Uganda. In the workshop, the participants of the Local KAPEX Training presented their Action Plans. In addition, the speakers from international agricultural development related institutions including KOICA, KOPIA, and other NGOs shared their experience and ideas on developing dairy sector in Uganda. Korean experts provided feedbacks on the presentation and discussed future cooperation on formulating ODA projects for the target area.
- The objectives of the joint research is to collect and analyze the existing data on the current situation including constraints of livesrock farming and management in Uganda, focusing on the dairy sub-sector. The research adpoted a value chain analysis approach and the data collection involved both desk review and field surveys. And the four districts with the highest dairy prodution was target for the research. According to the research, dairy farmers in Uganda are getting more integrated into the market economy, produing more milk and able to sell a big value of their products, leading to increase their income. However, there were still challenges facing the dairy sub-sector: low productivity, market challenges such as lack of cold chain system and milk price standard, and insufficient human capital. The sector needs a marshal plan in capacity building along the entire value chain, focusing on extension service and capacity building on milk processing in order to address the constraints in the dairy sector in Uganda.
- (Invitational Training) June 29 to July 4, 2014/ (Local Training)
- Seoul, Korea and Kampala, Uganda
- The Invitational Training for high-level public officials from Uganda was held in Korea to enhance policy development capabilities by sharing Korea's experience on developing dairy sector through lectures, site visits, and discussions. They had lectures such as "Dairy Sector and Household Income Increase", "Dairy Development Stratey in Korea", "Value Chain in Korean Dairy Sector". For study visits, they visited the Local Agricultural Extension Serivce, and agricultural cooperatives focusing on livestock and dairy products. Based on the implications from the lecture and study visits, the participants developed action plans to develop dairy sector in Uganda. The Action Plans emphasizes the importance of research and development, ingrastructure development, and capacity development.For Local Training in Uganda, twenty public officials and experts in the practical level participated for developing ideas from lectures, site visit, and discussions with Korean experts. As a result of the Local Training, the particiapants developed Action Plans emphasizing on participatory approach for all stakeholders in value chain.
KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop
- October 22, 2014
- The Korea Rural Economic Institute held the KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop in Korea on October 22, 2014 to share the final result of joint research of two partner countires, Uganda and Viet Nam. Moreover, 2013 KAPEX partner countries, Cambodia and Lao PDR, also participated in the Workshop to share the outcomes of 2013 KAPEX projects.