Topic & Summary
- March 31, 2015
- Instituto Paraguayo de Tecnoligia Agria (IPTA), Asuncion, Paraguay
- On March 23, 2015 KREI visited the Instituto Paraguayo de Tecnoligia Agria (IPTA) and had a policy meeting for discussing the objectives and the expected outcomes of the 2015 KAPEX project with Paraguay. Also, the both parties signed on the Record of Discusion for the project including joint research, KAPEX Training Programs and KAPEX Result-sharing Workshops in Korea and Paraguay. In addition, they discussed the current situation of extension service system for small scaled farmers in Paraguay and project target areas, Asunciaon, San Pedro, Concepcion and Cannindeyu.
- Enhancing Agricultural Technology Dissemination System for Small-scale Farmers in Paraguay
- Instituto Paraguayo de Tecnoligia Agria (IPTA)
- From August 5 to 12, 2015, KREI Joint Research Team conducted field survey in Paraguay to diagnose the current situation on agricultural extension service and figure out the role of extension service center. And the team had a interview with the extension workers and farmers to analyze the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the agricultural extension and R&D in Paraguay.
- According to the research, Paraguay faces some challenges such as limited financial resources for research and technology dissemination, low access to the extension service especially for family farming and lack of public assistance programs. To solve the bottlenecks, improving the education infrastructure for extension service and developing technology training and education programs, and fostering the extension workers shoudl be supported.
- (Invitational Training) June 21 to 27, 2015/ (Local Training) August 4 to 12, 2015
- Seoul, Korea and Asuncion, Paraguay
- The Invitational Training for eight high-level public officials from Paraguay was held in Korea to enhance policy development capabilities by sharing Korea's experience on agricultural extension service through lectures, site visits, and discussions. They had lectures including "Agricultural Extension System in Korea", "Agricultural Research and Development". For study visits, they visited Jeonbuk Agricultural Research and Extension Services and Seoul National University. Based on the implications from the lecture and study visits, the participants developed action plans for improving agricultural extension service system in Paraguay.
For Local Training in Paraguay, twenty public officials and experts in the practical level participated for developing ideas from lectures, site visit, and discussions with Korean experts. As a result of the Local Training, the particiapants developed Action Plans for enhancing agricultural technology dissemination system.
KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop
- October 21, 2015
- Seoul, Korea
- The Korea Rural Economic Institute held the KAPEX Result-sharing Workshop in Korea on October 21, 2015 to share the final result of joint research of four partner countires, Rwanda, Paraguay, the Philippines and Myanmar. The delegation from each country also presented the possible ODA project proposals derived from the result of joint research. Moreover, 2014 KAPEX partner countries, Viet Nam and Uganda also participated in the Workshop to share the outcomes of 2014 KAPEX projects and proposed furthure cooperation with KREI. 2015 KAPEX Partners, Monglia and Mozambique, also participated in the workshop to share their 2015 KAPEX project topic and joint research proposals.